Happy Birthday to Me…and Alton!

Alton Mihai  was born on Nov. 12th, 2005 at 4:32am. He weighed 7lbs. 9oz and was 20 inches long.

It’s weird to know you share a birthday with your kid. That’s right. I didn’t make it to my due date of Dec. 18th. Shocker, right? What with my birthday and our baby shower planned for Nov. 12th, something was bound to turn up. Needless to say that was the baby.

I woke from my nap around 4:15 to get Ilia some milk. When I sat up, fluid rushed from me. I thought it was pee, so I ran to the bathroom to finish up. I thought it was strange that so much came out. I got Ilia her milk only to realize I was still leaking. Another oddity since I didn’t seem to be incontinent this pregnancy. Thankfully, Adrian was home. He was supposed to be in West Hills taking photos. I told him about the liquid, and detective that he is, he asked me if I was sure. Luckily, since we had been at the hospital on Wednesday, all the stuff was still in the car. Unluckily, no one was around to watch Ilia. So she had to go to the hospital with us.

This time it only took Adrian about an hour to pack up everything he needed. We headed to the hospital, both of us glad that in that traffic, we hadn’t moved further away. He did manage to get a chance to get a hold of Lisa, so she could meet us at the hospital and take Ilia. Yay!

We got to the hospital and they hooked me up to the monitors. I wasn’t really having contractions at first. Those that I did have, didn’t feel like much. I was monitored for close to 2 hours before I was moved to the labor room. Since I hadn’t had a chance to get a Group B Strep Test, I was hooked up to antibiotics around 7:30pm. Before that, I was checked only to learn that I was 2cm dilated, 50% effaced and at –3 station. That means I de-dilated a centimeter in a day!

Anyway, we moved to the labor room around 8pm and got a great nurse named Lori. She hooked me up to the pitocin since I wasn’t having constant contractions. Man, that changed everything. Around 8:30pm, I began having harsh contractions that peaked high and fast and slowly went down. Every 2 – 3 min. Yucky. I wasn’t having fun, add to the fact that I could only worry about who was watching Ilia, it was just too much. I was checked at still at 2cm dilation and the baby was still high up inside me.

I was very impressed with me though, I managed to hang on until 12:30am before I got my first shot of Demorol. Not that it helped or anything. I didn’t even feel it! I received a great dose of medicine around 1:15am. Lori got a group of doctors and nurses to come sing Happy Birthday to me. That was great! Anyway, I got a second shot around 1:45am. That one I felt immediately–very drunk feeling–finally felt like I could sleep. I was checked again and had progressed to 3cm dilated and 75% effaced. They called Dr. Wyatt who was on-call for Dr. Carter and told him.

At this point, we moved into the labor/delivery/recovery room shortly thereafter. I was going to get my epidural, which was great because the pain from the contractions was HORRIBLE. I didn’t think I’d live through the pain. No one should ever feel that kind of pain. The epidural was finally administered and I was hoping that the pain would diminish. It kind of abated, but the pressure was still there. They checked me around 3:45am and had progressed to 7cm dilated, 100% effaced and at +1 station, so they called Dr. Wyatt again.

Turns out that was unnecessary. I finally realized the pressure I was feeling was moving into an urge to push. At 4:10, they checked me to see that I was 10 cm dilated, 100% effaced and ready to go. I started pushing at 4:20am and Alton popped out at 4:32am after 5 or 6 contractions. Wow! I’m so lucky, I had a great team to coach me on this. Dr. Wyatt showed up around 4:45, surprised he missed it all. Dr. Han, was great at the post delivery stuff to. She got all the major clots out of me and I didn’t even tear or need an episiotomy. I did rip a little inside and got like 2 stitches for that.

Just like Ilia, Alton came into this world with his hand stuck up near his head because the cord was wrapped so many times around his body and neck. Thankfully, he was much smaller than Ilia. He’s officially considered a preemie because he came at 35 weeks exactly. Should be interesting to see how he develops. I’ve already tried to breastfeed, but it’s not happening just like with Ilia. Looks like I’ll have to pump again. I’ll keep trying though. His little face is bruised, so he could just be in pain. Anyway, it’s amazing how much he’s a lot like Ilia when she was first born and how different they are too. I’m just glad he’s joined us on the outside. Even if we do have to share a birthday.

Anika ~ Nov. 12, 2005


5 thoughts on “Happy Birthday to Me…and Alton!

  1. Awwwwwwwwwwwwww……..
    Cootchie baby whoosa purdy widdew boy cootchie coo da baby’s…. huh? he’s sleeping?

    Beautiful, Fabooj. Congratulations.


  2. Happy Birthday to you(s), Happy Birthday to you(s).

    Beatiful Fabooj. Congrats all – especially to Ilia – big sisters are very important people! 🙂



Comments are closed.